History

The Kechi Playhouse opened June 16, 1983 with a production of The Fantasticks. Since then, over 170 productions have graced our small stage, utilizing the talents of 492 local actors. The building was originally constructed in 1920 as a Methodist church and some of the original church pews remain today as audience seating. Performances run June through October in a 5 show – 5 month season with shows changing every month. Plays range from old favorites to modern comedies and the occasional drama or musical and, lately, some original scripts such as the award winning IX’TICHA** Spider-God of the Amazon!!! and a nostalgic glimpse of the past entitled, The Radio Adventures of Trixie Trueheart, Girl Aviator.